Tuesday, September 23, 2008




What is this you ask? If the fancy Wal-mart scarecrow doesn't give it away, this is my garden. I've never had a garden in AZ before and I decided I wanted to plant one. It's really just an experimental garden. Experimental because we have so many freakin' rabbits (and usually ground squirrels for that matter) that I don't know if having a garden without a mote or land mines is really do-able. So why even try? Well, I'm thinkin' that now is a good time for several reasons: 1) The weather is cooling off so our fall planting season has arrived. Well actually fall itself has arrived. It only got to 100 degrees today! 2) The owls are back so I'm counting on them to guard my garden at night. They better do a good job! Maybe it's not fair that they don't know I'm relying on them but I don't speak owl sooo... 3) Most of the ground squirrels are gone. I'm not sure where they went. I'm giving credit to the owls and other various predators that live around my house. So those are my reasons not to mention the fact that my dad in Utah always has amazing gardens and I would love to do the same. It's nice to be self-sufficient even if it's only for a few months. As you can see, it's very small and will not sustain us for long...or at all really. Especially since all I planted was pumpkins, yellow squash and corn. Really, what do you do with the pumpkins besides be excited that you grew pumpkins and carve them of course. (If you have recipes on how to make pumpkin pie please let me know). Josh won't eat the squash but the rest of us will. And I read that you must plant at least 12 corn plants for there to be enough for pollination. I think I planted just enough so cross your fingers for me. I didn't want to put a lot of back breaking work into this just to have it eaten so that is the story of our wimpy garden! This picture is a couple of weeks old but I wanted to share. I will show you the results of my garden at another time. I know you're all just dying to find out!! I hope the anticipation isn't too great!! ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea, Mrs. said...

Frankly - I am jealous. I would love to plant a garden. But, I bought a condo as a single person, and right now, as a married couple, we're not going to move into a house for a while. I wish you luck!

September 23, 2008 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

Ha! I love all your little descriptions. We've planted several gardens over the years and ours have had several different robbers. The worst was our plot in a community garden plot in Logan, I would get so mad when I would return to pick my huge tomatoes to have them stolen! I hope they tasted terrible. I am sure the theif was just jealous of our green thumb abilities, okay, it was impeccable luck. Long story short, I hope our impeccable luck blesses you in your gardening endeavors! Keep us updated :)

September 23, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger The Geiser Family said...

I think you rock and I can't wait to come over for corn on the cob. Jeff will eat the squash too. If you grow it, I will eat it : ) I went to home depot and scoped out the seedlings and came home with nothing. I am going to dream some more this week. Maybe next week will look better for planting. : )

September 23, 2008 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Lyndsay said...

It's so good to "hear" from you! I have so much to catch up on. You have DARLING kids! I'm always jealous of people who have little blondies!
I already passed along your howdy to Lane and he says howdy back. I would happy to be your intermediary if you have anything else you'd like to tell him. Doesn't he just crack you up?

September 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home