Monday, September 29, 2008

WOW

Last week we were coming home from the lake and we saw some people walking down the side of the road holding bags. It was unusual cause they were out in the middle of nowhere and at first we wondered what they were doing but we realized they were collecting cans. I got kind of excited because I remembered when I use was young and I collected cans. I thought it was so fun! It was like finding a treasure! Maybe that's why I like cleaning my cat's litter box, each clump is like a little treasure! I also think that I liked it so much cause it was something we did as a family. I remember that my mom would just open the trunk of the car and we would ride in the trunk and then jump out when we saw a can. Perfectly legal I'm sure. So when we got home and the kids woke up from their naps, I grabbed some bags and off we went. I can say that I was pretty excited and so were they! We have 1100 acres of state land across from our house so that's where we headed. Within a 5 minute walk of our house our bag was almost full. Here is some of the loot we scored.



I was feeling pretty happy about our take. Mostly because I felt like I was teaching our children about being good citizens and keeping our earth clean. I want them to WANT to DO good things and BE great people. I also found out that the price of aluminum is up from 35 cents to 60 cents per pound. Obviously not a huge motivator but a nice little perk if this really becomes a habit.

So two days later I headed to Wal-Mart to do some grocery shopping. On the drive there I started thinking about the cans and began to notice that there are a TON of cans all up and down the roads here in Desert Hills. I got a good feeling an couldn't wait to go can hunting again. Yes I do know that sounds pathetic! I do not live an exciting life. IN FACT, not that you need more proof as to how glamorous my life is since I'm blogging about cans but the other day Addi got naked and pooped on the patio. Yeah...that's my life. Anyways, when we got to Wal-Mart I saw this:

I was in AWE! He hit the MOTHER LOAD!! If I were a lesser person and had a large truck I would have stolen them! Not really but I was a little jealous!

2 Comments:

Blogger eden said...

You're on to something. I was watching the news the other day...probably the first time in a month, and they were talking about how in CA people are looting other peoples recycling bins on the street for bottles and cans, and then turning them in for the cash. Apparently it is causing some kind of uproar there...

September 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Andrea, Mrs. said...

I totally know what you're talking about. I used to pick up cans too - even at girl's camp up on the mountain. I just can't stand to see people's garbage everywhere. And there is a recycling place just about two miles from here. :-D

October 3, 2008 at 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home